Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tenderness, Self-loathing, and the Pumpkin that never stops searching...

Friends,
Hope you're all well. Some odds and ends to show tonight; first off, a piece I did for the amazing woman in my life. I've seen this concept done over the years, but never to my liking, so I took a shot at it. It's probably the first time I've put something resembling heart-felt on this blog.
Over the past few years I've probably gone through several hundred Pigma Brush Pens. They're the only disposable brush pen I can use, and sadly, they only stay sharp for the better portion of a single page illustration. The above took one and a half. I'm left with dozens of brush pens in varying stages of degeneration and fray, so every once in a while, I like to do a busted pen exercise. The following image is one such exercise. I had intended to get some serious work done, but after twenty or so crumpled pieces of layout comp, picked up one of the bastard pens and did the below.
In the past four years I've sent out two mailers. Yup, two. So I can only blame the stagnant hours on my own shitty self. As per usual, instead of picking a market that might yield work, and doing some approachable portfolio pieces and a mailer image, I'm chasing the dream. Below may or may not be printed on postcards and sent out to a few hundred people who would never give me work. This is just the inks.

I typically do a few layers of flat black or ink-washes to be converted into color, but I figure this time around I'll try straight digital color. Below was dropped in about 5 minutes. Hopefully in a few days to a week or so I'll have a beautifully colored image, but I wouldn't hold my breath.


More soon. I hope...

No comments: