Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Radio Silence and Ground to Cover...


Hope you're all well. Much has changed since I last chewed your ear; occupation, living situation, love life, hate life, etc... so if you've been stopping by expecting regular updates, please direct your attention to my Instagram account, which seems to be the only thing I can update with regularity @sam_heimer.
The above is my first offering for Hallowe'en this year. Not sure if I'll be hanging the original inks, or a print, but it'll be in Infernale at Ritual Ritual, curated by the incredible Caitlin McCormack. This
show is going to be chock full of Halloween badassery so come on out! You can check the event page HERE and prints of the above are available HERE. October 17th.
I've been trying to work in a slightly different style for my annual Halloween piece each year, but if you look at them chronologically, there is a thread, I promise you. I won't bore you with the thoughts behind the piece, as it's become something personal and probably as close to heartfelt as I'll ever get in my work. Hope you enjoy it.


Prior to getting back into the autumn spirit, I had a few things on the stove. Above is the completed 'Midnight in the Desert' print set. These were scrawled in a moleskin with ballpoint exclusively sitting in the Philadelphia Free Library, watching the homeless come in to bathe and check their linkedin accounts for possible CEO openings. In several stories H.P. Lovecraft describes the desert in such a bone chilling way that I had to try and communicate my unease at reading these passages on paper. I realize they have a sort of sense of humor about them, and they are loose and sketchy as fuck, but I achieved what I wanted to.

The above was for a Phantom Hand show at Jinxed that passed like a fart in a warm breeze. I had a lot of fun with the piece and it printed stunningly so win win. If you can't figure out the meaning of this piece there's probably something wrong with your brain. Also for Phantom Hand is the following few images, done for a show titled 'The Most Exquisite of Corpses' peopled by Eamon Dougherty, Alex Eckman-Lawn, and myself. The show was fun, but a little rushed. I'd love to do this with a bigger group of artists and wheat paste some of the corpses around Philly.




I started carving again. This started as something I was doing exclusively for the Jinxed stores here in Philly, but have since taken on some fun commissions. Each carving is done on an antique chair, the different woods and finishes alter the detail greatly. If you're interested in getting one, there's about a months wait, but you can email questions to samheimer@samheimer.com.







Sadly, much of what I've been working on this year has not yet been printed, published, or used, so I can't share it here. That being said, I do have some excited projects slated with some awesome people. In closing; some doodles for your enjoyment.




And hey, if we don't talk again before Hallowe'en, I hope the holiday treats you and yours well.


No comments: